User-agent: * Allow: /. Allow: / Battling MS - Not Surviving ... Thriving!!: You Have To Learn To Wait

Thursday, September 14, 2006

You Have To Learn To Wait

My life has been lived mostly in overdrive. I come from a family of high-energy entrepreneurs that have always believed anything is possible if you are willing to get out there and get it. My father, the consumate optimist, has always been in some business for himself all of my life. Now, at the ripe age of 80, he is still in business and dreaming of launching something new.

Yet, he even used to try to slow me down. When I was shining shoes in his neighborhood barber shop, he would often send me across the street to a little grocery store for various items. It was simply impossible for me to just walk across the street and down to the store. I ran, full speed all the way. When I would arrive back, he would tell me, "Son, slow down. You don't have to run every where. You're going to run your life away."

Well, I never slowed down until PPS hit. There is nothing to slow you down like a physical disability. It has helped me to learn some things that are very valuable -- Impatience is one big get-ahead-ache! Life goes fast enough without rushing it. I read the following story somewhere along the way.

"Time sure changes things," an airline passenger confided to his friend. "When I was a boy I used to sit in a small row-boat and fish in the lake we're passing over. I would look up whenever a plane flew over and wish I were in the plane. Now, I look down and wish I were fishing."

My grandmother used to tell me, "Haste makes waste." Jean Dutourd said, "Impatient people always get there too late." Timing is important, but how fast we get to where we are going may not be so critical. It is more important to slow down, analyze and determine the important. Then, identify the intermediate steps involved in getting there.

This is especially true when it comes to making money on the internet. There are so many "get rich quick" work at home schemes on the net that you would think we should all be instantly wealthy. True wealth however, is built slowly over time. That doesn't mean that the internet has not brought us into a new age. Things can and do happen much faster with the new technology, but don't fall into the trap of thinking it all has to happen yesterday.

My advice is to determine what you see yourself accomplishing in your home based business. This is your vision. What you see. Then, identify your goals. This is what you have to do to bring your vision into reality. Here is where it is very important to clearly identify exactly what steps you must take along the way. Break it down. Then, attach a time frame to each of the steps. This keeps you moving in the right direction in a timely fashion.

Finally, the good book says in Ecclesiastes 3:1, "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." Life is lived in seasons, which means we are to do different things at different times. I am still learning this lesson.

Gary Madden
Check out this solid opportunity that revolves around self-improvement: http://tinyurl.com/f3avc

No comments: